Review: Web of Lies by Jennifer Estep

by 2/22/2015 0 comments
I really enjoyed this book. I will say, it was a bit of a slow start for me. I think after reading the first one, where there was a lot going on from the get go, this one felt draggy when in actuality the author was setting up the story beautifully. The last fifty percent was especially gripping and I loved the story development.


Series: Elemental Assassin, #2
My Rating:      
Genre: Urban Fantasy 


What can I say about Gin? She's kick ass, and she doesn't shy away from doing what needs to be done. I understand the morale dilemma that Caine experienced though, since Gin takes things into her own hands instead of letting the law deal out justice. And her ways are rather permanent. Thing is, how much of a choice does Gin have? And when is it more just to work outside the law if the law has become so corrupt that it won't be just? No easy answers there, but I liked that Gin doesn't moralize over it like Caine does. Caine runs from those questions. Gin faces the reality and does what she needs to do, and I have to say, what is right.
Book Three in the series

Caine on the other hand...is a frustrating character. He wants Gin, but his desire seems more visceral than genuine. He can't seem to accept her for who she is, and I'm starting to think these two aren't ever really going to come together. Too bad, but they are very different in their ideals and I wouldn't want Gin to be with Caine if he doesn't want her for herself. She might be a killer, but she's not evil or amoral. She deserves better.

Which brings me to Grayson--I have no idea what his interest in Gin is. It seems purely romantic at this point, but I think there's more to his attraction to her than we are seeing at this point. I'm curious to see if Gin will become involved with Grayson.

I said I loved the story development and I did. I like how Gin clued in to the fact that Mab was the Fire elemental who tortoured her so many years ago. I like that Gin has fully realized the potential of her Ice magic--or has she? I knew from the first novel that Gin is very powerful, but I'm beginning to think she is even more powerful than the author is letting on. I'm very curious to see where this is all leading. Kick ass plot line, great series story development and interesting new characters brought to the scene. I can't wait to read more of this series.

Happy Reading
Jewels

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: